Sunday 14 September 2014

Weaning.. Baby Led Weaning!

When a friend passed me the 'Baby led Weaning' book by Gill Rapley, my first thoughts were, Baby Led what now?
I wasn't keen. The Grandparents weren't either, in the slightest.
I can honestly say if I hadn't seen my friend practice it, I wouldn't have known about it and A may have been living on those Jars, full of additives and no taste.
When A was 5 months, much to the books disapproval, I tried her on baby rice, this sufficed for a week and then she was bored, I moved on to banana, which when given to her, looked like I had given her a lemon instead, not a winner! So shortly after I tried her with watermelon chunks that she sucked on, pineapple, apple (lovely on the gums) and toast. We soon progressed, to marmite, peanut butter and Jam! 
I felt like I came to a halt a while after and I said to a friend, I just don't know what to give her, the reply she have me was simple, anything! 
Now, within reason I do give her anything! Just always remember no added salt or sugar and just check that anything shop bought has a low content of both.
The book recommends no spoon feeding, barring most food, I don't. However I cannot sit back, personally, and watch A, launch spaghetti bolonaise over the side of the high chair! I'm getting better though! 
In the mornings we share porridge, to which I spoon feed but she always has some finger food too, like some toast fingers or a crumpet! I've done this since 6months! No choking has taken place and she eats so well.
I find that for us, socially, we can eat dinner together at the table, A is involved and I don't have to let mine go cold, whilst shoveling her food she doesn't want or need. Baby Led is exactly what it says on the tin, she decides when she's done with her food, not me.
She's starting to show less interests in her bottles now, I am going to let literally push them away, I won't decide for her. This is all part of "baby led".
From the minute Babies are born, they decide when they want milk and when they are finished, so why take that away from them because you think a jar is the amount they should have?
Anyway, buy the book, I recommend highly and so did my health visitor. 
You'll also be suprised how many people have done or are doing it when you talk about it, equally, others look at you blankly!

No comments:

Post a Comment